Monday, June 21, 2010

Punk Writing

Maybe it's because I'm in writer-mode today, but I just finished reading What is Punk? on Flavorwire, and couldn't help mentally replacing "punk" with "writing" or "creative writing" for many of the quotes. Since I've been writing more fiction, and spurred on by friends who've reminded me that writing should -- first and foremost -- be fun, I've been less concerned with writing for an audience (at least in the first draft) and writing 'punk,' The creativity flows, and the rules don't apply:
  •  “I think writing especially for me, was a big middle finger to this whole talent thing.”
  • Creative writing was defined by an attitude rather than a writing style.”
    “A guy walks up to me and asks ‘What’s creative writing?’ So I kick over a garbage can and say ‘That’s creative writing!’ So he kicks over a garbage can and says ‘That’s creative writing?’ and I say ‘No, that’s trendy!’"
  • "Creative writing is writing freedom. It’s saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster’s terms, ‘nirvana’ means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that’s pretty close to my definition of creative writing."
  • “The popularity of creative writing was, in effect, due to the fact that it made ugliness beautiful.”
  • “At its best creative writing represents a fundamental and age-old Utopian dream: that if you give people the license to be as outrageous as they want in absolutely any fashion they can dream up, they’ll be creative about it, and do something good besides.”
  • “The whole creative writing ethic was do-it-yourself, and I’ve always been very literal, especially as a kid. When they said that anybody can do this, I was like, ‘OK, that’s me.’”
  • “Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but don’t let them take you alive.”
  • Creative writing is just another word for freedom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment